Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am not sure how to move forward on a beach of contract

Customer Question

Hello, I am not sure how to move forward on a beach of contract situation. I'm not sure if I should look into small claims court or hiring a lawyer as the amount is $371.25.
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

You would want to sue yourself in small claims.This is something you can do yourself called pro se and seek judgment for the amount plus your filing fees.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On 6.20.16 I called Donnie Quinn of Bloomington Normal Limousines and Shuttle LLC to get a quote for shuttle service using his trolley vehicle on my wedding day (8.13.16) from 3:15pm to 4:45pm. He quoted me $300.00 for 2 hours. He emailed the contract which stated the rate was $300.00 for two hours. The total amount included taxes and a tip for driver and totaled $371.25. As the contract indicated what was quoted I signed the contract and sent a check for the total amount on 6.21.16. Seventeen days before the wedding he contacted me to tell me that I needed to pay an additional $300 for the use of the trolley. He advised me that the 300.00 quote was for one hour only. I advised that we did not have an additional $300.00 in our budget for the trolley and that he quoted me $300.00 for two hours and that is what is printed on the contract. Mr. Quinn then asked for an additional $150.00 via text message. I called Mr. Quinn the next day and stated we do not have an additional $150.00 in the budget and that the contract indicates $300.00 is the rate for 2 hours. Mr. Quinn then advised me that he could only provide service for one hour unless I paid more money. I advised Mr. Quinn that one hour service would not allow us enough time between the ceremony and reception. I reminded him that he quoted me two hours for 300.00 and that is what is stated on the contract. I also advised him that if he cannot honor the contract that I would need to see what other options are available. He told me he was still going to get his money and hung up on me. I found out later that he immediately went to the bank and cashed the check I had sent. Unfortunately the trolley did not appear on my wedding day at 3:15pm. Shuttle service was not provided on 8.13.16 however Mr. Quinn did receive payment as if he did provide service.
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Please ignore the post, it was a site error and other experts will respond.Please do not rate or respond.Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry I want to help you, thanks for your patience.

You would file in small claims yourself, here are free forms and self help.You file your complaint, the other party is served and you go to court and tell the judge your story.

Forms

http://www.law.siu.edu/selfhelp/info/court/smclasup.pdf

Again sorry for the confusion please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again for your patience today, sorry about the site issues.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

You can sue here in Small Claims in Illinois up to $10k without a lawyer yourself.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

I appreciate the chance to help, please let me know if you have more follow up.If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always sincerely ***** ***** with the remodeling.