Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How do I file a Small Claim concerning my ex lndlord failing

Customer Question

How do I file a Small Claim concerning my ex lndlord failing to return my security deposit within 21 days? The rental property was in Hollister Ca. the landlord lives in San Juan Bautista Ca and I now live in Gilroy Ca.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This would be in small claims court. Because the property was in Hollister, the best venue to file is in Hollister. You can see step by step instructions on how to file HERE, and you can get a free Small Claims Advisor service HERE.

Someone in your situation would file a complaint, serve the other party, and have a hearing on the matter (a few weeks/months later) to have the Judge make the decision.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.