Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I bought a home a year ago and now notice that the tire and

Customer Question

I bought a home a year ago and now notice that the tire and engine noise from highway 459 is so excessive that it disturbs my sleep and I can't sit on my back deck in peace. What is my best recourse in getting the state highway dept to address this issue.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, that is not the liability of the state as this is something that should have been checked by the buyer before buying the house. At this point, the only way to rectify the situation is to send a written request to the state highway department to ask them to install sound barriers on the highway and legally it is solely at their discretion and based on their budget to do so. If you can get all of your neighboring homeowners to sign a petition asking the highway department to do so, then that is helpful. If the highway department refuses, then you would have to go through your state senator or congressman to ask them to assist in getting the highway department to put in sound barriers on the highway to help reduce the noise.