AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

My wife and I were home while someone was attempting to

Customer Question

My wife and I were home while someone was attempting to break in our apartment and then they finally got through our babies window that have a bad latch. The thing is we were told by our property manager that corporate does not plan to install security features till next year. Thing is my wife is pregnant and now she does not want me to work in fear that she is alone and something may happen to her. She suffers anxiety and depression already and this situation exacerbated the problem now. I called the police when it happened they came and told me to put locks and bars on the windows. What do I do ?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights / legal options that might potentially apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does premise liability exist in a situation similar to this ?

Thank you for your follow up.

No. Generally, the property manager and/or landlord is not liable for any criminal acts, unless the criminal acts caused direct injury and were due to the landlord's negligence, such as lack of reasonable security, such as proper lighting at night, video cameras, etc...

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi, This is Heather. I'm a different professional. What a scary situation. I don't blame your wife for being afraid. I would say that your landlord does need to provide a secure apartment. If the locks and latches are faulty, your lease probably provides a method by which you can request maintenance. If any of the locks on the windows are bad, you should request they be repaired.