Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

This is a personal injury incident and my question is

Customer Question

This is a personal injury incident and my question is whether there is a viable liability claim against U-Haul. The facts in brief are as follows:
I rented a Uhaul truck to move some personal belongings. After picking up the truck, we drove around the corner to get something out of my car that was parked nearby. When we went to the back of the truck we noticed that the overhead door was open. So we attempted to close it. It would not budge. The guy that was with me, pulled on the rope while I attempted to push from the back of the door. The door did not budge and in the process of pushing on it, I ruptured the bicep tendon in my right arm. We later discovered that the door latch had been in the down position so that when the door was opened fully the latch was preventing the door from being closed. This was the condition the door was in when it was rented to us. When I told the Uhaul person about the incident, the person shrugged knowingly, and said oh yeah, that happens. My friend also got the same response from the yard person who handled the return of the truck, that this happens frequently.
I had surgery to repair the tendon and am pretty much recovered now.
I realize that it was my pushing on the door that caused the injury but I had every reason to expect the door would close, not get stuck as it did because it had not been properly closed before it was rented to me. YOur thoughts please. thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

It sounds like U-haul was negligent in both prepping the truck prior to renting it to you and also negligent in providing adequate review to you of the trucks operations. Both of these breaches of their duty can be connected to your personal injury and U-Haul could be liable for it.

It is worth your while to meet with a local personal injury attorney to get an assessment of your case. Most attorneys who do this work will meet with you to assess your case at no cost. Also these cases are usually taken on a contingency basis. This means that you would pay no attorneys fees unless you receive an award or settlement.

This link can assist you in finding a local personal injury attorney:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,