Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Im a employee / resident at a motel... the owner has not

Customer Question

im a employee / resident at a motel... the owner has not paid me in months ive been here for about 18 months so i cant work if im not gettn paid so now she wants me to just leave and get out of my residence here... i need help fast
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First of all, she must pay you wages, even if they are reduced by the cost of your lodging. So if she is not paying wages, you need to contact the Colorado Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division and file a wage claim. You can seek up to triple the wages due for her willful and malicious failure to pay your wages, plus attorney's fees if you hire a local attorney to represent you.

She cannot simply evict you, she can give you a written eviction notice to evict and then she has to sue you in court for eviction, which will take at least 15 days. So you have time to file a complaint with the Department of Labor and if she tries to evict you, then you also claim retaliation with the department of labor for you filing a wage claim.

You have grounds here to pursue her both with the Department of Labor and also sue her for retaliatory discharge and eviction for her trying to remove you for you standing up for your rights to get paid your wages.