RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Why would the prosecutor press charges of I didn't press

Customer Question

Why would the prosecutor press charges of I didn't press charges
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

A private citizen cannot press charges. Only the government, through a prosecutor's office, may file criminal charges against someone. A prosecutor does not need the consent of an alleged victim to file charges. Even where a person does not wish to prosecute, if a prosecutor believes that a crime has been committed and that there is enough for a conviction, they are permitted to file charges.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!