Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Florida resident for two years. Lived in Maryland. Stopped

Customer Question

Florida resident for two years. Lived in Maryland. Stopped paying a Citibank credit card in 2012. Was in school and did not have enough income. Just receieved a notice in regular mail that a "Foreign Judgement" will be entered. It is dated August 18th. I have 30 days to contest. I never signed for anything nor was I served at any time. In Florida, can they do this after three years? I need an attorney to vacate this. Where do I go? i need an attorney to handle this. I work full time and will get docked if I have to miss work. I can furnish a copy of the document I received.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
We cannot represent anyone from this site, it is forbidden by state law and I do apologize if there was any misunderstanding in what we can or cannot do (you can get a local consumer protection attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.or or http://www.lexmundi.com). However, if they did not properly serve you, then you would need to object to entry of foreign judgment AND you would need to seek to get the judgment vacated in MD where it was entered based on failure of service of process. So you will need to get an attorney in MD to file a motion to vacate judgment in the MD court where it was entered and at the same time you need to file an objection to entry of the foreign judgment and claim it is invalid for the original service and a motion to vacate the judgment is pending in the Maryland court.
The FL court cannot actually vacate the judgment, you have to get it vacated in MD where it was entered.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The judgement will be entered in Florida, Seminole County it says.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I sent you the image. Is it Florida or Maryland.
The petition you have means a judgment has already been entered in MD against you and they want to enforce that judgment against you in FL.
That is why I said, you would object to entry of the foreign judgment in FL, but you have to attack the judgment itself in MD, as the FL court cannot vacate the judgment itself. The FL court can refuse to enforce it if you are challenging the judgment in the MD court until the MD motion to vacate is finally decided though.