CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I found this girl online she was listed as 18. Asked me for

Customer Question

I found this girl online she was listed as 18. Asked me for my number after sometime of messaging. I texted her. It was causal conversation. After work I got home and had a couple drinks. Me and this girl continued to text she told me she was 16 almost 17. I was out of it and wasn't paying attention. I sent her a picture of me. She sent me a picture of her. She asked to come over multiple times but I ignored her and waived her off with excuses. This afternoon her dad named Sergeant Thomas called me saying that she was homeschooled and was getting her equipment taken away from her. He said if I couldn't help him pay for the equipment he would file a police report. When I asked if I could just meet him every week to give him money for the school equipment which he said totaled $2,900. He said no. Wanted me to go to a Walmart for a receipt. I said I could go to my bank pull out money with a receipt and he said no that won't work either. I think I'm being blackmailed or set up and I need help on how I should go along with it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you

Dear Customer,

Based on what you are posting, it sounds like you are being blackmailed.

There isn't any connection between what the conduct you are being accused of (exchanging sexually explicit photos with a minor) and paying for school supplies/equipment.

Most of these scams rely on their victim's fear of being implicated in a sex crime to prevent them from going to law enforcement (if this was actually a situation where a parent found their child was being sexually exploited they would contact the police).

You can contact your local police department and report this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it would be in my best interest to just not contact the gentleman at all and just leave it be? because it does sound like blackmail and a scam but I was just unsure of actions I can take to protect myself.

Document what happened for your own records.

You can call local law enforcement if you like.