RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I need some important I formation. Can I get legally married

Customer Question

Hi I need some important I formation. Can I get legally married ASAP .and what all is needed to be done ?
I would like to explain my situation.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** look forward to assisting you. Are you looking to get married in Illinois? I can tell you what the requirements are if you'd like?

• Two people are eligible to marry in Illinois if they are:
  • Over 18 years old (or meet requirements for an exception)
  • Not already legally married to someone else or each other
  • Not closely related to each other
  • Legally competent to enter into a civil contract

Both parties must appear in person to fill out an application for a license to get married. Applications are available through any county clerk’s office. The cost of applying for a marriage license varies by county, and is usually in the range of $15 to $40. Bring with you a form of identification, such as a birth certificate, driver’s license, or passport.

The marriage license is valid for 60 days, and is valid only in the county in which it was issued, which means that your marriage ceremony must take place within that county. There is a one-day waiting period before the license becomes effective. A court can waive this waiting period if you file a petition showing sufficient cause.

You may choose a judge, certain public officials, or a religious official to “officiate,” meaning to perform your ceremony. Your officiant must complete the certificate confirming that your ceremony has been performed, and forward it to the county clerk within 10 days of your marriage.

A list of county clerks offices can be found here:

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!