AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience

I had an incident where doctors at UC were doing a biopsy on

Customer Question

I had an incident where doctors at UC Davis were doing a biopsy on my thyroid. A needle slipped and punctured my artery. I have a fistula in my left arm. I do dialysis and this is my life line. A nurse wanted to get access and I told her "I don't think so" No body is supposed to access this arm, she kept insisting and accessed a point where a vein connected the 2 access points. I could not see as my head and neck were being held by a doctor trying to stop the internal bleeding. I told that nurse that she was not allowed to do anything to that arm and still she did. Can I sue for this as per my doctors, that was an assault on my life as that vein is my lifeline connected directly to my heart and I could have died.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

In order to sue, you would have to have damages. If you were actually harmed in some way from the nurse's actions, and if you can show that the doctor and/or nurse breached a duty of care, then you would be able to sue them. However, if you were not actually harmed, you would not have a case, because you have to have damages as a critical element in this type of lawsuit.

Does that answer your question?

Can you let me know if I've answered your question? Also, you are free to ask follow up questions at no extra charge, so let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.