LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was arrested in Bibb county, Georgia a few months ago for

Customer Question

I was arrested in Bibb county, Georgia a few months ago for dui and obstruction. I was given a slip and told to use it as my license until my court date. The ALS hearing was never explained to me. About a month after that I was pulled over on my way to work in Chatham County Georgia. Officer had randomly ran my tag and it can back suspended license. After about an hour of the officers and myself going over the slip of paper. They decided it was not sufficient as a temporary license. They did not tell me when or if it expired. Or if it was even good at all. So I was arrested again. I went to court in Bibb county, and my dui was dropped by the prosecutors. Mostly because I wasn't even in my car at time of arrest. So that charge never occured. They did however fine me and put me on 12 months probation. I paid everything off, but they won't allow you to pay off probate fees in Bibb county. So I have to mail the $47 in monthly for that. I was told in court that I would just have to go to the dmv to get my license back. The charge never occured. Well the court system and dmv have still not been able to straighten this out in a months time. My question is this. If I am not able to obtain my license back before my court date in Chatham, and plead guilty, will my probation in Bibb County be revoked? Even though I was arrested for suspended license before I was on probation. I have a 5 month old son and a job I have been at for years. I can not afford to make a mistake in this matter, for my wife and son's sake.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good evening. No, it should not. The reason why I say this is because if you were not on probation at the time of the arrest/citation for driving on a suspended license, then you can not be violated. Since probation was not in effect, there was nothing to violated and you can not be violated for something that happened BEFORE you were on probation.