Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I had a contractor doing masonry work at my House and

Customer Question

I had a contractor doing masonry work at my
House and unfortunately he passed away and left me halfway on the job and its gonna cost me a whole lot more to finish the job what do I do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are my options I had a guy doing this job for 17000 dollars and I only owed him 2300 and I have gotten quotes for 8000 dollars he passed away and what can I do
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Your only real option is to pursue a lawsuit against his estate.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Do you happen to know if he was "insured and/or bonded"?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Also, was the work being done by an individual, a company, or a corporation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was an individual doing the,job i don't know i didn't have a contract I was paying,him cash
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have googled his name and came up as he did have a business but I dont know if it was up to date
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

You're going to have to assume that he didn't have a corporation and then file a case against him and his estate. You're better off hiring a lawyer to help you, at least with this first part. The lawyer will file the lawsuit against the estate or, if an estate hasn't been opened yet, will open an estate so he can file a lawsuit against it.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

At some point the lawyer will do discovery and find out whether he had insurance or a bond and then proceed accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What type of lawyer would I be looking to hire
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Probate Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need. That website will allow you to look by list and you may be able to find a lawyer that does both of those.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.