RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I have a blackmailer claiming to be a law enforcement

Customer Question

i have a blackmailer claiming to be a law enforcement official sending me a clipped version of a Warrant for Arrest in my name. The form is not t he same as I see on NC's Judicial website. I'd like to send you a copy for your opinion as to authenticity.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I can tell you for sure that this is a scam, because I've heard it before. A law enforcement official isn't going to contact someone to tell them they have a warrant out. They're not going to warn someone in danger of arrest that they're coming for them so the person can then leave town. It's the equivalent of me warning you that I'm going to punch someone in the face before I do it, so they can put their hands up. I'm sure if they haven't already, they are going to ask for money to make the warrant "go away."

If you'd like to attach it, please feel free, I'll take a look. Happy to do so.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
suppposedly this is a crooked cop, who also has a crooked captain.

I give them an "A" for effort, but you're right, it doesn't match the format for a warrant in North Carolina (I could only see a portion of what you sent, but the whole top portion of the "warrant" is wrong). Furthermore, an "arrest" for prostitution is often done by a citation; an officer doesn't have to always bring someone into the station and book people. This is a scam that's familiar to North Carolina -if you Google North Carolina warrant scam, you'll see articles going back a couple years. Wake County actually put out a statement about it because citizens were getting so many calls. They usually get people's names and other private information, like social security numbers, through a data breach.

What happens with these is that they threaten arrest if you don't provide a monetary settlement, and want you to use a prepaid card or monetary settlement. But as you know, that's not the way the system works. A person is entitled to a court process, and any exchange of money for a fine would be done through the courts.

One thing you could do is call, or have your lawyer call, the department that supposedly issued the warrant and ask if there is any such officer name.

Additionally, if they're extorting you, they themselves are guilty of a crime! While I would just block the person and recommend not giving them the time of day (they'll get tired of wasting time and look for an easier target) you could always tell them that you've been in touch with the prosecutor's office and have reported their attempts to extort you.

You should also be able to call the Clerk of Court and see if they can verify if there is any such "warrant" out for you.

Good afternoon, just wanted to see if there was something I could clarify for you or additional information you needed?