How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David C. Garner Your Own Question
David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1012
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
Type Your Legal Question Here...
David C. Garner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother, who is 83 years old and resides in Sacramento,

Customer Question

My mother, who is 83 years old and resides in Sacramento, signed up for a training course to be held in Los Angeles 9/16/16 - 9/21/16 and a mentoring program from the LifeMastery Institute and She has decided it is a scam after they have charge over $22,000 on her credit card. She has been requesting a refund unsuccessfully. Can you provide us any advice on how to proceed to try to get her money back?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 8 months ago.


I will try and help. First, can you please confirm for me whether or not she has paid the credit card bill in question?



Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately she already paid. My brother was looking over her credit card statement and discovered the huge charges and it all came to light.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is a gullible and now elderly lady. She apparently had a contract she signed online that she cannot locate. I tried to request a copy by calling their number posted online, but they just refer back to the local person. I have asked my mother to request a copy of the contract from the representative she interacted with.
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 8 months ago.


Ok. Well, that makes it worse. First, I would try to get the credit card company to reverse the charges. Its called a charge back, but its usually done before the bill is paid. Still, you can try. Write them a letter instructing them (not asking) them to reverse the charge. Inform them it was fraud. Some companies will do it anyway.

Secondly, contact and write to the training company and start using words like fraud. Send them a demand letter.

Lastly, talk with an attorney. One thing you might try is contacting McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento to see if their pro-bono legal clinics can help. This appears to be an elder abuse case. Check that out here:

I hope this helps.


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did not mean to push the CALL ME button if I did
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 8 months ago.

No problem. If all else fails, call McGeorge. I went to school there and they CAN help.