Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Even if a car wash posts a sign that says "not responsible

Customer Question

Even if a car wash posts a sign that says "not responsible for valuables taken from vehicle," aren't they still responsible if an employee steals something from the customer's car.\?"
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, such a disclaimer and notice to customers is enforceable in Texas. Had you been able to prove their employee actually did steal the property and it was not recovered, then you would have cause to sue the employee for the value of the goods, but the Texas courts hold that giving customers notice to not leave valuables in their car (or even in hotel rooms) means that the business owner has provided sufficient warning to the customer I am afraid.