Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

I received a notice to revive dormant judgement on a old

Customer Question

I received a notice to revive dormant judgement on a old bank loan. What is the statute of limitations for blocking the revival. I received the notice in 2016 and the judgement was in 2005.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes I have been summoned by the court to respond within 28 days
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not know what else to say there is a lot of info I have not declared bankruptcy but basically am insolvent with severe high debt and less value of assets
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

If more than five years has passed since the creditor took any action towards execution of the judgment, then, under Ohio law, that judgment may be no longer a lien on any real estate that you alone. However, the Ohio statute of limitations on a judgment itself is 21 years. I'm not sure why the bank started a revival action at this point in time, but if you don't own real estate it's not an issue, because the general judgment is still alive and well.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.