Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I'm wondering if I have any rights in this matter. In

Customer Question

Good afternoon. I'm wondering if I have any rights in this matter. In anticipation of signing my lease for my apartment complex we spoke about what would be allowed in the patio. I asked specifically what my weight bench be ok, seeing as though it is a part of my everyday routine, they told me it is fine and we continued on with the prosses. It wasn't until 3 months later that I received a phone call saying that I could no longer have it there; even though I sighted the lease with the understanding that we agreed that it was not a problem. Is there anything that I can do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, D. Please tell me:

1) Does your lease contract specifically mention anything about what is allowed or not on the patio? Or, it is silent about this?

2) Is there a set of "Rules" published for the tenants? If so, does it say anything about what is allowed on the patio? Or, it is silent?

3) Was the promise that you can have the bench on the patio in an email, or a text, or simply verbal?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was verbal; it was as we were going through the lease agreement before I signed. It says that "patio furniture" is allowed. So I asked does a weight bench count as patio furniture and it told me yes that is fine.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. So, the lease does say that patio "furniture" is not allowed - correct?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!