Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Since 2015 I have been involved with Macy's who claims that

Customer Question

Since 2015 I have been involved with Macy's who claims that I owe on my credit card. I have faxed in proof from my bank to their research dept. I have had a three way call with my bank, macy's and myself.
I continue to get calls from Citibank who represents Macy's. Callers are very empathetic when I explain my dilemma.
Recently on August 1, 2016, I spoke with Stan(1(###) ###-#### who asked me to fax once again my bank statements. He promised to forward this to Macy's research dept.
I have attempted to contact Stan, but to no avail.
I recently printed out a form to enlist the help of the NJ Attorney General's office. My concern is that my good credit rating is in jeapardy.
Can you advise?
Lorita Brockington
182 Pennsbury Lane
Deptford, NJ 08096 (###) ###-####H (###) ###-####c
Macy's acct. # 42 031 327 312 1
With appreciation
L Brockington
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have the proof above and if they make a negative report to your credit bureaus, then this would violate the Fair Credit Reporting Act as it is reporting an invalid debt. So if they do that, you can sue the creditor for violating the FCRA and seek actual damages or up to $1000 per violation plus your attorney's fees and costs of having to sue them.
So you need to send them a letter as well informing them that if they try to report this debt, which is paid and is in dispute, you will sue the for violation of the FCRA and you will also report them to the Federal Trade Commission for their negligently reporting this invalid debt.
You also should in the meantime follow through with your complaint to the NJ Attorney General in addition to sending the letter to Macy's and Citibank