Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was Dating a women and she used me for money the whole

Customer Question

I was Dating a women and she used me for money the whole time to better her life and make false statement to get that money. What can I do
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: States
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: Repayment. And prevent her from doing to someone else
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've spent over 66000 on her plus trips and nice vacation
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this theaf by deception
Expert:  jomo1972 replied 3 months ago.
Did you agree to give her the money?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
through bank transfers
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I gave her money on promises that were false and give her every opportunity to correct false statements
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a US attorney.
It is not generally theft by deception when there is a boyfriend girlfriend relationship. Things given to a boyfriend/girlfriend, such as vacations or clothing etc are typically considered gifts between the parties absent any written agreement to the contrary. However, if you can prove intentional false claims to entice you to give the gifts, then you could have grounds for a civil suit for breach of contract in detrimental reliance and fraud to seek to recover the money that you have given her. It would be a civil suit though, not a criminal claim for theft by deception.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about romance fraud?
Thank you for your reply.
That is not a criminal charge, that is a term used to describe romance scams, but it is not a criminal charge or even an actual legal term. Like I said above the proper legal terminology for the cause of action against her would be detrimental reliance and possibly civil fraud (which has a much higher burden of proof than would detrimental reliance in that you have to prove she had the actual intent to defraud).