Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Can I open a poker room in Texas, charge time/rent and

Customer Question

Can I open a poker room in Texas, charge time/rent and dealers work for tips?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

The Texas Attorney General has stated that as long as participants do not risk money or anything of value to try to win any prize, the game is not illegal under §47.02; which is how bars and restaurants hold legal tournaments. Texas Penal Code §47.02(a)(3) states that a person commits an offense if he plays and bets for money or other thing of value at any game played with cards, dice, balls, or any other gambling device. Further, if you operate the card rooms and charge or take a percentage of each hand as a fee for your hospitality, then it is a clear violation of the §47.02(b) exception.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.