Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

What is the law regarding eevicting a 43 yr. old son from my

Customer Question

What is the law regarding eevicting a 43 yr. old son from my home. He does receive his mail here.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Anyone who is living in your home with consent is treated like a tenant. That means you're only required by law to give your son one month's written notice that he needs to vacate. At the end of the month, if he's still there, you can go to court and file a lawsuit. He can leave before the trial, or he can go to court. In court, the judge will issue an order that he has to leave, because there is no defense to a month's notice. If your son still won't leave, at that point, you can give the sheriff a copy of the judgement. The sheriff will place his belongings in the street, forcibly remove him from the premises, and may even wait while you have the locks changed if you ask.

The local landlord/tenant court should have forms you can use to file for eviction.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.