Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I was charged with a misdemeanor noise violation in East

Customer Question

I was charged with a misdemeanor noise violation in East Lansing, MI. I have the choices of guilty, not guilty or no contest. Which is best if I hope to keep this off my record?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

A plea of not guilty or no contest will each result in an immediate misdemeanor conviction. The only difference between a plea of guilty and a plea of no contest is that a plea of guilty can be used against you as an admission in civil court, while a plea of no contest cannot. If you're not going to be sued over this noise. there is no advantage to the no contest plea, because in every other regard, a guilty and a no contest plea is identical.

The only plea that will keep a conviction off of your record is pleading NOT guilty. That's the plea that keeps all of your rights open so that you can get advised by counsel, have your lawyer negotiate a dismissal if possible or a reduction to a civil offense to keep the misdemeanor off of your record, or, if none of that is possible, to fight the case all the way to trial if necessary.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.