Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My friend worked on a cruise ship. she requested to sign off

Customer Question

my friend worked on a cruise ship. she requested to sign off and they refused to let her sign off she finally told them she wanted to sign off that she was leaving, they told her she had to go back to her country, she is from the ukraine. She informed them she had a B2 tourist visa and she wanted to sign off on that they said no. they then told her she would be put off the ship in saint martin 2 days before completion of the current cruise. we spent thousands of dollars on tickets. this morning in saint martin they took her crew pass and paid her but would not allow her to leave the ship. The told her she had to wait. at this point she was not crew or guest. I contacted the cruise line to see what the problem was and got a big run around then they called her too the human resource office and made her a guest passenger not allowing her to use the ticket that she had. she didnt wish to remain on the ship but they would not allow her to leave.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, but I do not understand what your specific question is for us regarding this matter?
Discharge of seamen is something that is up to the terms of her contract with the cruise line, so have you found out what her contract states?