Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

My daughter had her purse stolen while she was having her

Customer Question

My daughter had her purse stolen while she was having her hair colored at a beauty shop. She and her hairdresser were the only ones in the shop. He asked her to come outside the shop to get some fresh air and sunshine. While they were out there, he was texting. After about 3 mininues, she told him that it was too hot, so she went back in and discover that her purse was missing. Her cell phone, house & car keys, $250 cash, $100 in gift certificates, hers and her son's medicine. He told her to call someone to pick her up. She was so panicked that she couldn't remember phone numbers. He agreed to take her home, but she had no keys, so she had him drop her off at her sister's. She had also asked her to take her to the police station, but he said he had to go play tennis. She had told him that her phone had a tracking ap, and then she saw him texting. After she and her sister filed a police report, the phone was tracked and found outside of a school. She is having to change her locks, does not have enough money to pay her bills and is extremely worried about her financial situation. It seems like the owner of the shop where her purse was stolen should be responsible. Your advice is appreciated.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, a police report
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Personally, I'm not a huge believer in coincidence. From what you're saying, I find it extremely difficult to reach any conclusion other than that the hair dresser was in on this. For one thing, it doesn't make any sense that he'd take her randomly outside during a haircut. It's also EXTREMELY suspicious that teh store happened to be robbed during that time and only her purse was taken. (The hair equipment stylists use is very expensive.) For another, it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't call the police for her immediately from the store if he had nothing to do with it. Or take her to the police station. Add to that the fact that no one else was around, and I think there is a very high probability that the hair dresser was involved.

Regardless of what the police decide, your daughter can sue the hair dresser for conversion. That's the civil term for theft. She's entitled to the value of her purse and all the contents, plus the cost of replacing her keys and locks and all other incidental expenses. She's also entitled to punitive damages. As part of that, I think most judges would order the hairdresser to also order her to reimburse the cost of her haircut, but she can ask for more.

In civil court, the standard of proof is much lower than in criminal. She doesn't have to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. She just has to prove that, more likely than not, the hairdresser was involved, and this sounds like a slam dunk to me.

Did you have any other questions about this?