Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was the VP. of my condo and over the last weekend in may

Customer Question

I was the VP. of my condo and over the last weekend in may which was a three day week end the corner store ran out of change /.on sat.nite and ask me if I could get him some.as the VP of the condo Ihave access to coins so I went and lgave him 100.00. in which he gave me two fifty dollars I put the money in my wallet I went out sunday all day. on Monday had a BBQ for people of my condo.never thinking about the money.tue had doctors app. same as wed. thur.went to the stores came home and found the cops were waiting for me.and told me that there was a complaint against me about missing quarters f told them what has hppen and he told me totake care of this. this was around ! pm on thur.went to the office and everyone was gone pres.house and no one was home.
fri.moring went to the office the board and the manger call a special meeting.went to the meeting and was told they had me going in the office on sat. I explain what I did and gave them the 100.00 tahat the store gave me.they were not happy.I have been on the board for 4 years always watch out for my community.theysay that they have me on tape but never seen it. I know there are video there I was there when they put them in so why would I take a chance to steal.I said I would give up the board and they told me that it would stay in a close meeting and I agree. now 3 months latter they sent a letter out saying that I took money. what can I do about this because we all sign a letter of about close door meeting and they lie .Ifeelthey are trying to stop me from running for office next year. there is more to this but I need to know what course to take. I live in a 55 and over in fla.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about this.

You can sue the Board/Condo Association for defamation of character. If you explained the situation and returned the money and there was an agreement that the issue would be closed and was closes, it would be breach of the agreement if the Board turned around and accused you of stealing the money that you have already returned.

In order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and slanderous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (letter to all members of the Association, etc); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You can use the following sites for local Attorneys who handle defamation cases to assist you with the case.

Civil Rights Lawyers

Justia.com

findlaw.com