Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I paid an attorney a retainer fee yesterday in the amount of

Customer Question

I paid an attorney a retainer fee yesterday in the amount of $1,500.00 for legal representation in a matter in civil court. This fee was paid upfront before any services were performed. After the court process, of course, I was more than disappointed with this attorney's performance. To say he literally did nothing in this case is an understatement. I asked more questions and took care of every legal matter in this case. When asking him questions, they were not only unanswered, but I was completely ignored. I am currently searching for new, and hopefully better, representation in this matter. My question is, can I stop payment on the check I wrote to him?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You can stop the payment. However, the Attorney may sue you for breach of contract. You can then countersue for the Attorney's substandard performance in Court.