LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

I have a DMin degree (Doctor of Ministry) and I have been

Customer Question

I have a DMin degree (Doctor of Ministry) and I have been asked to officiate at a friends wedding here in California. I got an online ordination years ago and now I cannot find the paperwork. Do I need to get another online ordination to do this? Or can I just do it as long as they comply with the marriage license and have the official witness etc. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you have been ordained in the past, then there will not be a problem for you to officiate over the wedding. You are not required to register with the state to perform the wedding and you do not have to show documentary proof of your ordination in order to officiate over a wedding ceremony.

CA Family Law Code, Section 400, in pertinent part holds:

Section 400. Although marriage is a personal relation arising out of a civil, and not a religious, contract, a marriage may be solemnized by any of the following who is 18 years of age or older:

(a) A priest, minister, rabbi, or authorized person of any religious denomination. A person authorized by this subdivision shall not be required to solemnize a marriage that is contrary to the tenets of his or her faith. Any refusal to solemnize a marriage under this subdivision, either by an individual or by a religious denomination, shall not affect the tax-exempt status of any entity.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

I sense that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.