Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  28 Years In General Practice,
68197583

I am trying to clear up a dui situation from 1997 that is

Customer Question

Hello. I am trying to clear up a dui situation from 1997 that is playing heck with my life right now. I went to court and paid what they asked and everytime i try to get a license north carolina says i am not eligible. I need to be able to drive and its not possible at the moment. Is there a way to get rid of this with me being in Arizona?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: North carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not as of yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm not sure if there is, I just know that I am in desperate need of a drivers license.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. I am an Arizona licensed Attorney.

You would need to clear up your record in NC. Why are you being told that you are not eligible?

"Arizona is a member of the Interstate Drivers' License Compact, any information about DUI arrests in other member states is shared. The only states that are not part of this compact are Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin."

http://www.mayestelles.com/legal-blog/2015/january/does-my-state-know-about-my-dui-in-another-state/

"Expungement if Convicted of DWI

If you have been found guilty of or plead guilty to a DWI, you can now seek an expungement, but the process is much more difficult. In fact, until just a couple of years ago, you were unable to do anything to expunge a DWI off of your record. However, the General Assembly passed a law (North Carolina General Statue 15A-145.5) that now permits a DWI (and other types of crimes) to be expunged under certain circumstances. First, the conviction must be more than 15 years old. The law also requires that any term of punishment also must have been completed 15 years ago. So if you were convicted 15 years ago but got one year of probation, you would have to wait until your last day of probation is at least 15 years past before you can apply for an expungement. Secondly, you cannot have any other conviction for a felony or a misdemeanor (other than a traffic violation) on your record. And, finally, you will have to go through the legal process and pay all required fees to have the conviction expunged. After you apply for an expunction, the necessary paperwork must go through all the county and state agencies that have a record of the conviction. Although the publicly available records will be expunged, you can expect confidential files to be retained. The expungement does not erase all record of your prior conviction, only what can be found by routine background checks and criminal record searches." http://www.mecklenburgdwi.com/nc-dwi-penalties/nc-dwi-expungement/

Do you meet the criteria?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate. You do not need to provide a negative to obtain a refund. Thank you for your consideration.