Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My neighbor tree has already ruin the sewer system cost me

Customer Question

My neighbor tree has already ruin the sewer system cost me $4.000 plus
Now I have his tree lifting the concrete in my back yard .
What can I do ?
thank you for your help .
I live in Colorado Springs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Luba. This is a classic "neighbor's tree"s scenario. If there is vegetation that is crossing over unto your property, someone in your situation has the right to do the following:

1) Use self help to cut away whatever parts of the tree that are encroaching/damaging the property up to the property line; or

2) Go to court and get permission to do this, first, before doing so.

In either case, the amount cut away must be to the property line and must not damage the tree any more than necessary, and, one can get a judgment for reasonable expenses and damages to one's property.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the You SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.