Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I am 53 and in 2010 start receiving WC after winning in

Customer Question

I am 53 and in 2010 start receiving WC after winning in court that I was hurt on the job. I work ed for Commonwealth of PA but had to medically be retired bec of the injury and now is receiving Temp WC benefits. I also am receiving SS bec of this incident on the job. So in receiving all 3 of these benefits now, SERS, WC and SSI, I have been waiting on the job to make my retirement Permanent. I was interested in settling my WC case but they are asking me to omit ERISA and throw away my rights to this Law, which I feel protects me in cases as I have . Do you think that I should do this and forfeit my rights to these benefits ERISA protects me with or NOT SIGN, as I believe is the right thing to do.? I am single and struggling to keep my mortgage and bills paid and can't afford to sign off and loose everything. Please help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You should not sign the papers if they are asking you to forfeit your rights.

I know it can be quite tempting to do this to settle. However, if you are going to be forfeit your rights to ERISA protection, then that would not be in your best interest in the long run. So, the papers should not be signed.

Best wishes,