Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

In NC, I was fired from a job for snoozing in the passenger

Customer Question

In NC, I was fired from a job for snoozing in the passenger seat in a tractor trailer while my "trainer" either took pics or recorded me on his android. I was working for Staffmark (temp to hire) assigned to Penske logistics pulling loads to hospitals for Cardinal Health. Staffmark said Penske had on-board cameras, but an investigation proved Penske doesn't use on-board cameras. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Employment is unfortunately at will, which means that an employer can let an employee go at any time for any reason (or no reason). But even if you had a contract that said you could only be terminated for cause, sleeping on the job is generally considered cause for termination.

As far as the pictures/recording goes, a person only has a case against someone for photographing him in a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. When you're in the passenger seat of a vehicle, anyone who passes by can see you through the windows. That's not considered private from the world at large, but there also wouldn't be any expectation of privacy from the driver of the vehicle. Based on what you're saying, I'm afraid there is no case here.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Did you have any other questions about this?