Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I'm in Westchester, NY and on 8/15/16, I signed a 2 year

Customer Question

I'm in Westchester, NY and on 8/15/16, I signed a 2 year lease for an apartment to begin on 9/1/16. Both parties signed the lease.It was for a condo. The Landlord has come back and said two things: 1. I can only have a 1 year lease, but will renew it after 1 year and 2. the Management Company and board must approve the lease.Now, I'm in a bind, my daughter is registered in high school and I'll have to rent a hotel room until the apartment is approved.What are my rights and can I get the Landlord to pay for my unexpected out of pocket expenses?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. It's actually your landlord who is in a bind - but is trying to convince you otherwise. Once both parties sign you have a VALID CONTRACT (assuming whoever signed on behalf of the building had the authority to do so). The only way it can be renegotiated is if you allow it - and you can tell them that. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. I would be happy to do so. If there is a delay in responding it's because I'm working with another customer or simply not at my computer - but I assure you I will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if I have to stay at a hotel, I could make them pay?

You can't make them pay unless there is a prior agreement for them to pay BUT you can tell them that you'll sue them if they invalidate the lease AND sue them for hotel costs.