Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I just wanted to preface my question with the following:

Customer Question

Hi, I just wanted to preface my question with the following: this is going to be a seemingly odd request. However, I may have a case. There's a female author who published a book titled "Shattered Innocence," and the main character and I share the same name. Some of the similarities between myself and the main character are uncanny. However, the main character in this book is a high-end escort. I am the most uptight person you will ever meet and would be a god-awful prostitute. That of course is beside the point. I have yet to read the book in its entirety. It seems like a poorly written romance novel, please find a link to a brief synopsis here:
However, when I do read this horrible book; if I were to bring the book to a lawyer and demonstrate that the main character and plot was in some respects inspired by my life (minus the prostitution thing of course); could I have a viable defamation case on my hands? I appreciate any information you may be able to provide.
Best Regards,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 month ago.
That is very strange. I think it would be very difficult to pursue such a case unless you have evidence of intent by the author to defame you.
Secondly you have to prove damages ie some financial impact that you have suffered from as a result.
The only other possibke claim could be misappropriation of your likeness but again you need proof of intent.

Does that make sense? We can discuss further by phone as well but there are additional charges.