Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I was just wondering what my legal options are as far as

Customer Question

Hello I was just wondering what my legal options are as far as being able to get my personal belongings such as my furniture and an engagement ring back from an ex girlfriend she was being unfaithful So I had to break the engagement and move out and now she is unwilling to give my things back
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 1 month ago.

Hello Customer,

Engagements rings are considered gifts in contemplation of marriage. This means that if the engagement is broken off due to no fault of the man, the man is entitled to a return of the engagement ring. Since it was her who was being unfaithful, it was her fault that the engagement was broken, and thus, you are entitled to the ring back. You are entitled to bring a civil lawsuit against her for return of the ring.

Similarly with respect to your personal belongings, if these were not gifts to your ex, you are entitled to bring a civil lawsuit for these items as well.

Perhaps you should write to her explaining that you intend to commence a civil lawsuit against her for the return of all the items if they are not returned. This will probably scare her a little bit as no one wants to be involved in a lawsuit.