Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I live in Kentwood, Michigan. This is their ordinance as it

Customer Question

I live in Kentwood, Michigan. This is their ordinance as it refers to RV storage on our property. Sec. 86-103. - Front setback requirements.No utility trailer, recreational vehicle and/or recreational equipment shall be stored, parked or placed within the front yard setback area in residential zones, except temporarily for loading and unloading, in the process of normal upkeep or cleaning, or as provided in section 86-105.(Ord. No 9-09, § 1, 12-25-2009)
Sec. 86-104. - Side yard setback requirements.If it is not feasible to use the rear yard area for such purposes, utility trailers, recreational vehicles and/or recreational equipment may be stored in side yards, provided that the vehicle shall be placed as far to the rear of the side yard as practicable. In addition such vehicles or equipment should be placed as far from the adjoining lot lines as is practicable. The requirements of this section shall not conflict with any county or state law or regulation and any such regulation shall take precedence over this section.The subdivion has approved sites that have 6' from the lot line on the ends of the home. Our RV is over 105 inches wide, so due to them approving a site with only 6ft of property, we are putting it as far to the side of the driveway as possible. We park it so that when the slides are extending they are 1 foot from the property line. There is no access to the rear yard, the home is a walk out, with the slope starting on the front corners of the home with full exposure on the sides by the time it hits the back corner of the home.They are telling us we can not park it there and it can only be parked for 48 hours while loading or unloading and can not be stored here. We have it as far in the side yard has we can. They so far have given us a warning, not ticket. I've observed 8 other rigs parked the same as ours in the community in***** The enforcement dept is saying we could ask for a variance but doubts they would approve it.There are also brand new subdivisions with the same lot dimensions. Is it legal for them to write an ordinance that can not possibly be followed and can I still continue to park as I am?
Jim Moyer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

I am not sure what you mean by this is an ordinance that cannot be followed. Can you please explain further? Are you saying it cannot be followed by you or by anyone?