CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

The Justice of the Peace mailed a judgment against me in my

Customer Question

The Justice of the Peace mailed a judgment against me in my case in St. Tammany Louisiana and the other party filed for a "review de novo" 50 days after the Justice mailed the judgment. I paid the judgment 10 days later with interest but the other guy did not cash the check. How long a time period can the other side appeal.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

A party has 15 days from the entry of (or mailing of) judgment from the Justice of the Peace to file a motion for trial de novo. See:

However, you must file an opposition to the other party's motion - this can be as simple as citing the above code section and stating that the motion is untimely, but you must file an opposition.