DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC

I have a promissory note with my ex father n law to pay him

Customer Question

hello, I have a promissory note with my ex father n law to pay him back around $4500.00 that was supposed to go to my ex husbands owed taxes. My ex never used the borrowed money for the taxes and I feel I don't need to pay my ex father n law.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ma
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: yes my ex husband was suppose to sell the house by last December and has not
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Thank you for your question. You can still ask clarifying questions if needed until you are satisfied, there is no charge for follow-up questions. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich

Did you sign the promissory note?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 2 months ago.

Well, I don't see that you will have any legal way to get out of paying the note if he were to sue you. Perhaps you can recover against your ex-husband however. Did you actually get a divorce? If so, did the decree say anything about how the debts will be split and specifically this one?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we have a divorce decree that states all taxes are his responsibility
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 2 months ago.

Does it say anything about other debts like this note?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am responsible for the notes
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 2 months ago.

Well that is unfortunate. I do not see any way to legally defend against the ex-father in law if he were to sue you. I understand the reasons why you feel you shouldn't be responsible, but I am sorry to say, that the court will not accept those as reasons to avoid being responsible for them. I am sorry about your situation, doesn't seem fair.

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What about the irs or filing a claim against my husband that he is responsible for the unpaid taxes
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 2 months ago.

Well, the decree already says the taxes are his responsibility right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
are you still there?