Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Question regarding my son's obligation to report a seizure

Customer Question

Question regarding my son's obligation to report a seizure that occurred back in April 2016 to dmv. He is under doctor's care and has had no other seizures since then. He has not been driving since the seizure according to va law. Do I need to report this to dmv?
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: the six months is coming up in October. But not sure whether to report this to dmv or not. I don't want him penalized further, he already cannot drive and it is quite difficult to go to college daily without it.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is your son not driving because his license was suspended based on his medical condition, or is he simply voluntarily not driving?

Doug

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was informed by his neurologist that according to Va law he cannot drive for 6 months so he has not driven since his seizure. He also had an MRI and does not show signs of epilepsy. Before this he had not had a seizure in 4 years. He is on meds now to prevent any seizures and it has controlled the matter completely. He is going to remain on the meds for the foreseeable future.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Did the neurologist notify DMV and did DMV contact your son?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Did your son contact DMV about this issue back in April?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Does your son have his valid license still?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do you have a number I can call you at? I have to walk outside my workplace for cell coverage.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

As you have asked for a phone call, I will offer you that Premium Service and I'll process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread.

After you accept my offer of the phone call, would you please provide your phone number? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

I won't be able to call you until you accept the call offer I made and then provide me with your phone number.

Doug