CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

If i am in a chapter 13 bankruptcy, am I allowed to payoff

Customer Question

if i am in a chapter 13 bankruptcy, am I allowed to payoff my federal back taxes that was not filed in the chapter 13? It was from 2014.
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed? Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I am in hawaii
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no my lawyer retired
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can I pay off my taxes I'd it's not in the bankruptcy

Yes, you can pay your tax debts (including back taxes) that were not included in your bankruptcy schedules.

However, if you want to try to get these tax debts included in your bankruptcy payment plan, you are going to have to reopen your bankruptcy petition, and you will want to retain an attorney to represent you for this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok am I able to pay off my car as well? Or.do I have to pay off the bankruptcy first?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are u there?

You can legally pay any debts that you have incurred.

Your obligation under the bankruptcy is to continue to make your bankruptcy payments as scheduled under your Chapt. 13 plan.

(There is a procedure under which a bankruptcy trustee can petition the court and ask for higher annual payments, this sometimes happens when the debtor suddenly receives a much higher salary for example, but this usually only occurs when one of the bankruptcy creditors initiates the process, and there is often something else going on as well (perhaps not fraud, but "unfair dealings" that led to the bankruptcy).