Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I was convicted with domestic 2 years back paid my debt and

Customer Question

I was convicted with domestic 2 years back paid my debt and gotten myself situated as far as anger found a job and found housing for my family and things are going great with me and my wife question is am I allowed to purchase a black powdered revolver in the state of tx
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Baird tx
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: What are your thoughts
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I got a terriostic threat charge same year my anger is under control figured I'd ask before anything
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Certain types of black powder guns are not considered firearms under either Texas or Federal law. According to Texas Penal Code Section 46.01, this is the definition of a firearm:

(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:
(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or
(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

So, in short, so long as your antique firearm was either manufactured befor 1899 or is a replica of one that was manufactured before 1899 AND if it does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition, it would be legal for you to own this and use it in Texas.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.