Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

I was parked at a Shopping mall in Panama City Florida on

Customer Question

Sir, I was parked at a Shopping mall in Panama City Florida on Aug 13 2016 at approx 9am to get my walking exercise in and buy some tools from Sears. While in the parking lot 2 police officers pulled up & asked for my ID & said that security wanted me served with a No Trespass Order. The police were nice but said their hands were tied. I didnt sign anything but received a verbal no trespass. I was at the mall the day before with 0 interactions with anyone. I contacted the Mall Manager after that had happened over 2 weeks ago with no response as to what or why. I thought only baggy pants thugs & shoplifters were No Trespassed. Me? 20 yr Disabled Retired Army helo mechanic, ex police reserve officer. Did this security officer report a false crime or report while tying up 911 services? What can I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Although the Police were very nice, I feel the Mall Security Officer probably lied to Police about something. I'm from Indiana here for VA Medical treatment as a tourist and was just waiting for the mall to open that Saturday at 10 am. Why he called police, I don't know when he could've just drove up to me and asked why I was there. I don't understand.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Please let me thank you for your service. My son is a combat veteran as well, so I want to make sure we can get you the best information that we can.

Clearly there was some sort of mix up and it needs to be straightened out. The first step is to write a letter to the Mall Manager. You do not want to do this by phone because you want something in writing back authorizing you to use the mall.

You will want to send the letter certified mail, and you want to be polite and civil in the letter, but also let the manager know that you will be in contact with veteran support groups and the media if necessary to find out why the Mall is blackballing disabled Veterans.

If you would like help drafting such a letter I would be pleased to help you. Although there are additional charges for such service I will deeply discount it for you in light of your service.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Just to follow up, it seems pretty clear that the Security Manager mistakenly believed you were loitering or otherwise engaging in improper conduct. Obviously this need to be rectified. Since the Mall Manager is not returning your calls it is necessary to get his attention. Because the Mall is private property the police are not going to be able to help you.

That is why you need to get leverage through public support and publicity.

Kind regards,