Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My niece is on life support and the father want to pull the

Customer Question

My niece is on life support and the father want to pull the pull and the mother dont. They are pulling the pull at 9:00 pm tonite / mixed emotions among the family. We want to say her for surgery. The said father has power of attorney is there any way the mother can stop them for donating her organs? She has been brain dead for 6 days with others in the family wit same issues recovered in 3 months?? Thank you so much
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

The hospital here would have to deal with both parents.They likely need both parents consent here for both medical decisions and then to donate orders.It is possible that the hospital can seek court orders if necessary to pull the plug.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

The hospital here would have to deal with both parents.They likely need both parents consent here for both medical decisions and then to donate orders.It is possible that the hospital can seek court orders if necessary to pull the plug.I am assuming father has POA for the other parent.In that situation he would have legal right to make medical decisions unless mother revokes it.I will be happy to followup if you have more questions.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.