Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I'm in a situation where an attorney wants me to testify in

Customer Question

I'm in a situation where an attorney wants me to testify in a case for his client. He supposedly sent a private investigator to my house to serve me a subpoena. I never physically received a subpoena since I was at work. The court case is on Monday and the lawyer called me and threatened to handcuff me/arrest me under contempt for dodging his investigator supposedly. What are my options? Do i have to go to court on Monday
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you have not been served with a subpoena, then you have no legal duty to go to court and testify as a witness in the attorney's case. He is simply trying to scare and bully you into voluntarily coming since he couldn't get you served.

.

So you can tell him to go pound sand and have a fun day in court..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can he hold me under contempt and arrest me though? I dont want him lying to the court and then sending a warrant after me. Is that possible
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your response by the way!

No, he has no power to do anything regarding contempt... That is a legal decision that a judge makes if you are under an order to appear and you don't. There is no order to appear here that has been legally served on you.

.

And you are very welcome. Happy to help any time with this attorney who is apparently a jerk.

.

.