Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Is their a s tatue of limitations on taxes owed on

Customer Question

is their a s tatue of limitations on taxes owed on cigarettes
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: the year of 2008
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that under NJ law, failure to pay cigarette tax is considered tax evasion and there is no statute of limitations in NJ for tax evasion, as there is no limitation for evasion in other states as well. I have had clients who have been hit with cigarette tax for buying cigarettes online 10-12 years ago and had to negotiate down the fines and interest to make it more reasonable for them to settle the matter.