Shannon Llenza
Shannon Llenza, Lawyer
Experience:  Principal Attorney at Llenza Immigration Law LLC
95908862

I have a question about viewing somebody's I-94 record.

Customer Question

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I read online that the US has an arrival/departure history that is available on the I-94 webpage where non-immigrant travelers can retrieve their I-94 arrival/departure record number and five-year travel history by entering the required name, date of birth, and passport information. Is it possible for a lawyer to get to a person's (named Z) information information or would Z need to give consent? Could I hire a lawyer to draw up a legal contract where I will offer Z a payment if he provides his I-94 record?

Thank you for the information.

Your Question:

Is it possible for a lawyer to get to a person's (named Z) information information or would Z need to give consent?

Response 1: Z would need to give consent before the Attorney can get the information for Z.

Could I hire a lawyer to draw up a legal contract where I will offer Z a payment if he provides his I-94 record?

Response 2: Yes, you can.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just want to clarify. So, is it possible for Z to release his I-94 record simply for personal reasons? In other words, does the US government allow him to access and provide this information to me if I am not an employer or school?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, you said that Z would need to give consent before the attorney can get information "for" Z. Did you mean "from"? I am trying to get Z's information. Not provide Z information.

I just want to clarify. So, is it possible for Z to release his I-94 record simply for personal reasons?

Response 1: Yes, that is correct.

In other words, does the US government allow him to access and provide this information to me if I am not an employer or school?

Response 2: Yes. Z can request the information for any reason.

Response 3: No, I meant "for." The Attorney would need Z's consent before accessing the website to obtain the I-94 information on behalf of Z. Then after the Attorney obtains the information for Z, Z can turn over the information to you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank for your the clarification.What kind of lawyer would I need to find to help me with this?
What kind of fees should I expect to pay?
If Z lives abroad in Asia, can an attorney here in the States still be able to make the contract binding?
Is accessing somebody's I-94 considered very unusual? Would attorneys not want to take on this case?
Expert:  Shannon Llenza replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** and I am an attorney with over 15 years of experience. I just want to make sure I understand why you are trying to obtain Z’s I-94 records? If Z is willing to give you permission to look up his/her information, and you have the required information, then you can locate the records on the Department of Homeland Security web site, which is https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent.html. You don’t necessarily need a contract. I would just obtain written signed consent from the individual that you have permission to obtain their I-94 information. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I want to look at Z's I-94 records because my husband is accusing me of having an affair with Z. Z lives abroad in Asia, and my husband believes he has been traveling to the US constantly to visit me. These allegations are false. My husband has bipolar disorder and is paranoid. I'm trying to show him this to get him medical help. He refuses medical help at the moment, so I want to show him objective proof that I am telling the truth.If Z does not want to give me consent to view his I94 for free and will only do it if I provide him financial compensation, is it recommended to have a contract?

Hello. I apologize for the delay - I have been locked out of my account. Can you just ask Z to look up the information himself and send you the results? This might be the easiest way so that he does not have to provide you with his personal information, but you will have access to his I-94 record. You could have an attorney draft a contract for this transaction, but the cost might outweigh the benefit. Since the individual is in another country you are going to have to establish how you are going to move forward if there is a breach of contract. I am not a contract attorney so I will have to opt out for that issue, but if you are friendly with Z, I would see if he will just agree to provide you the information, or seek permission to look up the information on the web site yourself. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you are satisfied with my answer please provide a rating for my services. A rating is the way I am compensated for my assistance. You can continue to ask questions after you rate me. Thank you!

Hello, I just wanted to follow up to see if you had any further questions or issues I can help you with. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not friendly with Z. So is the contract still recommended? I thought it would be best for both parties' protection if there was one.What kind of attorney would I need to find?Should I find an attorney abroad in Asia where Z lives? Or should I find an attorney here in the States?

Hello, thank you for your response. I am going to have your question redirected so that it targets a contract attorney. Thanks!