Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Well... I would like to research tenant laws. My landlord

Customer Question

well... I would like to research tenant laws. My landlord just gave written notice that I can not do laundry between 10pm and 6:30am in my own apartment that I pay additional rent for the provided washer dryer in my apartment. called it ' quiet time'Is that legal
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: sorry, Boerne Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, always try to do researchbefore looking stupid if possible
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My nosy neighbor downstairs complained to me personally about hearing water noise due to my laundry at all hours. I now feel that I am being singled out. My notice states that lease violations can lead to eviction.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy and will try to assist you this evening with your landlord/tenant issue. What state do you live in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Boerne, Texas

Thank you, ***** ***** a few moments. I apologize, I completely overlooked your state in the original question.

I'm so sorry, but I'm going to need to opt out of this and let another expert handle this issue.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

There is nothing in Texas Landlord and Tenant law, Texas Property Code Title 8 Chapters 91 and 92 that gives the Landlord the right to restrict the use of the washing machine and dryer in your Unit. Also, if the Landlord provided the washer and dryer as part of your rent, the Landlord cannot charge you additional fees for their use.

You can file complaint against the Landlord with the Texas Attorney General's office.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank for your time. I have one other question about this issue. My wife went to the office and explanted that because it is so hot, she does laundry and fixes next day meals sometimes late and beyond midnight. She was told by property manager noice from the laundry is now under the Quiet Times and they are 10 to 6:30am. . Is this within their rights and how do I legally pursue because I have a decimal meter and our machine (stackable) is no louder than normal speaking voices.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Your wife has no obligation to explain to the management why she uses her laundry at a particular time or why she prepares next day meal at night. Her apartment is for own use for normal and legal things, which doing laundry and preparing meals fall under. The management has no right to dictate how you and your family should conduct yourself inside your apartment when you are just conducting normal activities.

You should give a written notice to your Landlord/property management that your rights as Tenants are being infringed upon by the restrictions, that you pay rent and have legal possession of the premises and can cook and do laundry when you want because you are not making any unusual noise that is associated with living in apartment complex. That if your neighbor is disturbed about the normal noise, then the neighbor should go and live in a single-family house.

You should also file complaint with your Attorney General's office and/or file lawsuit against the Landlord in your Justice of Peace Courts for these restrictions. You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.