TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Second opinion] - I leased a Tesla July 2nd. I tried to

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I leased a Tesla July 2nd. I tried to utilize their "happiness guarantee" to return it within the first 2 weeks based on false claims about its performance. They agreed to take the car back but refused to return and of the roughly $7000 I had put down. August 1st I was informed the bank refused the financing due to errors on the lease agreement and was asked to sign a new one. I refused as I am still planning to return the car. I have not heard from them in three weeks to arrange the return of the car and return of my money. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If Tesla's guarantee states that you are entitled to return the car for the reasons given, and if that guarantee states that you are entitled to the return of your deposit, then Tesla must do so. If it refuses to honor the guarantee and return the money, then you have no choice but to sue Tesla for the deposit, win a judgment against Tesla, and take any necessary collections actions (though it likely won't be necessary to take collections actions at that point. Usually large corporations simply send a check when a judgment is entered).

As for the car itself, I would drive it to Tesla and attempt to deliver it to them. If they voluntarily take delivery, then you are set as far as the car goes (though I would as for a receipt, of course). If they do not voluntarily take the car, then I would take it back to your house, put it in the garage or something similar (if possible) so it is protected, and then wait for the lawsuit.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.