Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I was injured at Meyers, Kirkland, WA injury was on 6/9/16

Customer Question

I was injured at Fred Meyers
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Kirkland, WA injury was on 6/9/16 by a display that was placed in a bad location. I was talking to a sales associate who advised me that other items I was looking for was in another location of the store. I backed up maybe 2 step turned and immediately walked into about a 6 ft. display. I hit the left side of my nose and had immediate pain. I stood there for a while making sure I did not break my nose. I sales associate informed a co woker that where she move this display was not a good location. I asked for a chair to sit down and the pain continued to the top of my head between my eyes effecting my vision and pain persisted to the point where I asked for aleve to relieve it. The manager with me said he could not get this for me. I called my daughter as I was not able to drive. Upon her arrival, I asked that she buy the aleve to help stop the pain. The manager advised her to take me to the closes emergency room because he thought I might have a concussion. We followed his advise. I was seen by doctor and released without needing any follow up. Fred Meyer's is not accepting responsibility and will not pay my medical bills for emergency visit. Bills for emergency room and doctor come to around $2,300. I tried to contact an attorney and was told the amount was not large enough for them to pursue. Can you help me or refer me to an attorney?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hi Pearl; are we still connected?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Other than the one who would not help me, no. I'm looking to your advise or recommendations.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I also missed work that day. Sedgwick is Fred Meyer's insurance carrier and they will not release the video or audio from the incident as this is where they made their determination.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you will most likely need to pursue this claim yourself as the dollar amount may not be high enough for a lawyer to get involved. You can sue the store for negligence in the placement of the display and ask for your medical bills and related pain and suffering as well as lost income from missed work.

In Washington, the concept of contributory fault applies. For instance, a plaintiff may only claim 60 percent of his damages for injuries if the court determines that he was 40 percent responsible for the incident.

You may wish to pursue the negligence action in small claims court. See this link.

This link may help you find a lawyer.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.