RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I'm looking advice about the pros and cons of a legal name

Customer Question

HI
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I'm looking advice about the pros and cons of a legal name change
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please, give me a call since my question is more broad and general than it may look in a chat
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

There's no real advantage per se to changing one's name. Typically when people do it, it is because of a change in lifestyle -they are getting married, for example. Others change their name to take the name of a stepparent years later because they couldn't as a minor but want to as an adult. Some just never liked their names. Still others undergo sex changes and obviously don't want the name of their previous sex.

The main disadvantage to a name change is that it is a process. You'll have to petition the court for a name change, and some places require that you publish a notice in the newspaper. After the court issues the order, it takes time to notify the various organizations you'll need to about your new name -DMV, Social Security, IRS, banks, credit card companies, doctor's offices, etc. And, if you already have an established name professionally -e.g., you are a well know business person, you may not want to change your name and risk the public no longer knowing who you are.

Of course no one can change their name to avoid a warrant, flee criminal prosecution, or get out of paying their debts.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!